[Marxistindia] STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF THE REPUBLIC OF CUBA

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Thu May 1 12:36:59 IST 2008

STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS OF THE REPUBLIC OF CUBA

On April 22 last, the Government of the United States issued a press release which was distributed by its Interest Section in Havana in which it "deplores" the immediate and spontaneous reaction by our people against the gross and shameless provocation that a handful of counterrevolutionary individuals attempted to orchestrate the day before at the Revolution Square.

In that press release, an irrefutable evidence of the complicity of the US government, which encourages subversion in our country, the Government of Cuba is accused of "forcefully removing" a group of women known as the "Ladies in White".  It further reiterates the US government solidarity towards the mercenaries who are in the payroll of the imperial superpower.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs accuses the US government of fabricating and promoting these and other counterrevolutionary provocations as well as the subsequent media campaigns launched against Cuba.

The empire, rendered helpless by the unstoppable advance of our Revolution, has decided to strengthen its subversive plans, by virtue of which only from 1996 to 2006 it was able to supply the local counterrevolutionaries with 385 000 pounds of medicines, foodstuffs and clothing; more than 23 000 short-wave radio sets, as well as millions of books, booklets, and other information material, as was recognized in the report published by the US government's General Accounting Office (GAO).  Only in the course of the present year, 2008, the US government has allocated 45.7 million dollars to pay to its mercenary groups in Cuba and put up provocations like the one orchestrated yesterday.  This amount of money is part of a total invoice of 116 millions earmarked during the Bush administration to support an industry of domestic subversion and counterrevolution in Cuba at the expenses of American taxpayers.

The US Interest Section in Havana (SINA) has become a pillar of the US government subversive policy, and has strengthened its role as the General Headquarters of the domestic counterrevolution.  According to the aforementioned report issued by GAO, between the years 2000 and 2005 the imports by the US Interest Section increased almost by 200 per cent.  Fifty to seventy per cent of this big total was material that the US Interest Section delivered among its mercenary groups in Cuba.

>From January to March, 2008 the SINA has facilitated access to Internet services for this groups; it has taught "courses on computing" and on "independent journalism" to its sepoys in Cuba; it has never ceased to supply them with all sorts of goods, including electronic equipment, stickers, pullovers, and subversive literature.  It has organized for them several video-conferences with top officials of the Bush administration, anti-Cuban Congress members and representatives of the Cuban-American mob based in the United States.

The US Interest Section is constantly guiding those counterrevolutionaries, whom it systematically contact and give instructions to.  Only in the course of the present year, it has organized tens such meetings with its mercenaries in Cuba.

The US Interest Section has enhanced the profile of its provocations.  As was seen in the images aired by the Cuban television, the US Interest Section offers its official sites and the residences of some of its officials to hold receptions, videoconferences, and exhibition of subversive material.  It even offers its diplomatic means of transport to carry the counterrevolutionaries to these activities.  Just one example:  the house of the US Interest Section official Gregory Adams, located at Calle 24 No. 521, Miramar, has become a true "conference center" for the mercenary groups financed and controlled by the US government.

Our government has every proof that shows the direct involvement of the US Interest Section in the subversive actions against Cuba as well as in the most recent provocation orchestrated at the Revolution Square.

One of the groupings that have been particularly sponsored, backed, and financed by the US Interest Section has been precisely the so called "Ladies in White", which has currently been chosen by president George W. Bush and his special services as a spearhead against Cuba.

Its members are customary visitors of the Internet centers of the US Interest Section, and receive logistic support for their counterrevolutionary work.  They frequently meet with the officials of that Interest Section, and their most notorious ringleaders have earned the "privilege" of receiving direct attention from Michael Parmly, the chief of that office.

One of them has even received a letter of recognition from President George W. Bush himself, as well as financing and support to publish a book about the counterrevolutionary experience of her husband, one of the mercenaries who were sanctioned for serving the interests of the government that is attacking us.  The "launching" of this book was attended by the Yankee Interest Section official in Havana Thomas Hamn.

On January 24 last, Bush himself welcomed a member of this group, the wife of another notorious mercenary who was also convicted.  The US president not only offered his support; he asked the world to "support" the cause for counterrevolution in Cuba.

Likewise, in its most recent diatribe against our people on March 7, Bush openly recognized, once again, the role of this grouping as the favorite instrument of its policy against Cuba.

It wasn't by mere chance that, days before its provocation, the so called "Ladies in White" received the encouraging words and the instructions given by the anti-Cuban Congress member Ileana Ross Lehtinen, who became notorious for supporting the worst actions against our country, including the kidnapping of the child Elián.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs denounces the all-out responsibility of the US government in these incidents.  Cuba reaffirms its right to prevent, neutralize, and respond to these provocative actions conceived, financed, and promoted by the US government and its Interest Section in Havana.

The Cuban Revolution will never give up its right to defend itself; it will never cease in its struggle.

Now that we are coming near to celebrate the first half a century of our victorious Revolution, not even the most powerful empire ever known to humankind should have any doubt about our people's capacity to thwart any attempt to deprive us from the future that we have conquered with so much effort, dignity and sacrifice.

Havana, April 23, 2008.