[Marxistindia] Brinda Karat's letter to Home Minister on deportation of Nitu Singh

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Sat Jan 2 16:39:53 IST 2010

                                                         January 2, 2010

Press Release

Smt. Brinda Karat, Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) has written the
following letter to Shri P. Chidambaram, Hon'ble Minister for Home
Affairs, Government of India on the deportation of Nitu Singh, a 32 year
old ICCR scholarship student in the FTII, Pune to Nepal. We are herewith
releasing the text of the letter.

Dear Shri Chidambaram ji,

This is to request your help in an unjust case of deportation of a 32
year old ICCR scholarship student from Nepal, Nitu Singh who was in her
final year in the FTII, Pune.

Nitu was picked up from her hostel on the night of December 5, 2009 by
local police, her belongings were forcibly packed and she was put on a
flight to Nepal the following day. The local police have alleged that
she was deported due to “national security” reasons. However it is
apprehended that her deportation is a result of her domestic
circumstances. She is allegedly a victim of domestic violence at the
hands of her husband, a well connected politician in Nepal. Her parents
had also sided with her husband. According to information confirmed by
the police in Maharashtra, her father had written several letters to the
police in Pune asking for their help in deporting Nitu back to Nepal.
How a case of domestic “dispute” becomes a case concerning “national
security” is a question that requires investigation and I request you to
kindly look into the matter so as to prevent such misuse in the future.

However what is of immediate concern is that Nitu should not be
prevented from returning to Pune to complete her final project. She must
be allowed to do so. The Director of the Institute has also written to
the police in this connection. There has never been a complaint against
her by the authorities in the institute.

I request you to kindly intervene in the matter so that the young
woman’s future should not become hostage to patriarchal notions which
seek to punish a woman for asserting her own choices in issues
concerning her personal life. It is unthinkable that in democratic India
an adult woman should be deported simply because her husband and parents
wish her to obey them and further that this should be projected by our
law enforcement agencies as being a matter of national security.
Incidentally, I received a letter from her father today in which he
admits that he was misled by his son-in-law and that he would like Nitu
to finish her studies. I enclose a copy of the letter.

I also enclose a summary of the case prepared by the All India
Democratic Women’s Association in Maharashtra who have been helping Nitu
in her struggle for justice.

With regards and best wishes for the New Year,

                                                                    Sd/-

                                                          (Brinda Karat)