[Marxistindia] PC of Prakash Karat & Inauguration of Northern Jatha

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Mon Mar 4 19:14:27 IST 2013

BJP and Gujrat Model are not alternatives: Karat

BJP and 'Gujarat model' can never be an alternative to Congress as both
the parties pursue same economic policies, catering to the interests of
the corporate and the rich, CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat said on
Monday in a press conference in Ranchi. He was in Ranchi with the Eastern
Sanghrash Sandesh Jatha.
BJP, in their national executive meeting has claimed that they are the
alternative to Congress rule and they upheld the 'Gujarat Model' for the
entire country. Karat came sharp on the issue and said, “Gujarat model is
nothing but allowing corporate to garner unbridled profits. This model and
Narendra Modi is hugely praised by the likes of Ambanis and Adanis. On the
top of it, Gujarat model has witnessed communal carnage of the worst
kind”.
Karat said, CPI(M)’ s main emphasis is on alternative policies. Therefore
we are travelling throughout the country to make people aware on those
alternative policies. We have taken up issues of land reforms, of housing
sites, food security, employment, health and education and against
corruption.
Responding to questions, Karat said, Left has not progressed through
elections only. We have advanced through peoples’ struggle. We want to
build a more powerful struggle which may be reflected in election results.
About ‘Third Front', he said, “we are focusing on building unity on
alternative policies. Without alternative policies, no alliance can bring
any result”.
On another query, Karat said Congress and BJP will not be able to dictate
the terms any more. On the so called “prime ministerial” candidate, he
said, “in India, it is no presidential system. All these campaign is
bogus”.

Northern Jatha flagged off in Amritsar

The Northern jatha was flagged in Amritsar on Monday. This is the third of
the four jathas that the CPI (M) is organising as part of its Sangharsh
Sandesh. Brinda Karat, Polit Bureau member of the CPI (M) is leading this
jatha from Amritsar that will travel through Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan
before culminating in Delhi.
The jatha flag was handed to Brinda Karat by Davinder Singh Josh, son of
Sardar Sohan Singh Josh, the founder of communist movement in Punjab.
Earlier, all the jatha leaders led by Brinda Karat paid homage to the
martyrs at Jallianwala Bagh. A huge public meeting was organised at the
Company Bagh as a part of the flagging off ceremony.