[Marxistindia] West Bengal bye-election-memo to CEC

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Sat Feb 7 16:56:25 IST 2015

February 7, 2015

Press Release

Sitaram Yechury, Member, Polit Bureau of CPI(M) and leader of the Rajya Sabha forwarded the following memorandum of the West Bengal State Committee, CPI(M) to the Chief Election Commissioner.  This  memorandum is self-explanatory.  We are releasing the text of the memorandum for publication.

(Hari Singh Kang)

For CPI(M) Central Committee office

Dear Sir,

Sub: For free and fair poll in Lok Sabha and Assembly bye-elections

In view of the terror, rigging and malpractices of the ruling Trinamul Congress (AITC) in the last Loksabha elections in West Bengal, I would like your good office to undertake adequate measures to prevent such practices well ahead of time in the bye-elections to be held on Feb 13. Police and the office of the State Election machinery are being used by the ruling party to serve their narrow interest.  Alongside terror in certain parts of the two constituencies, money power of the ruling party is employed in total violation of the electoral norms.

The BJP is running its campaign with vicious communal agenda thus vitiating the situation. Both the Loksabha and the Assembly seats have border with Bangladesh.  Communal propaganda, in total violation of the Electoral Act and the Constitution, must be prevented forthwith.

Restrictions on the campaign in favour of CPI(M) candidates are being frequently imposed by the concerned police authorities.  The TMC is also putting hurdles on our campaign in different places without any police action.

In view of the aforesaid situation free and fair poll of 14-Bangaon (SC) PC and 88-Krishnaganj (SC) AC Bye-election may not be possible.

Your urgent and active intervention is earnestly solicited.

Hope, you will do the needful in the interest of free and fair poll.

Yours truly

Sd/-

(Biman Basu)

Secretary, West Bengal State Committee