[Marxistindia] Sitharam yechury Letter to Ramesh Chennithala

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Thu Jun 9 04:41:06 IST 2016

June 9, 2016

Press Release

Leader of the opposition in the Kerala Assembly, Shri Ramesh Chennithala, had written to the CPI(M) General Secretary pointing out to certain media reports that alleged that role played by national leaders like Gandhiji etc were removed from the school text books in Tripura.

We are herewith releasing the copy of the reply sent to Shri Chennithala by General Secretary, Sitaram Yechury, which is self-explanatory.

(Hari Singh Kang)

For Central Committee Office

****

Full Text of the Letter

June 9, 2016

Shri Ramesh Chennithala

Leader of the Opposition

Kerala Legislative Assembly

Thiruvananthapuram

Dear Shri Ramesh Chennithala ji,

Many thanks for your letter sent by email on June 1, 2016 drawing my attention to a news item that appeared in some sections of the media regarding the school syllabus in the state of Tripura.

In your letter you have reproduced the allegations contained in media reports and seemed to have accepted them as the truth.

Upon receiving your email, I have enquired from the CPI(M) Tripura State Committee and asked for a response to these media reports and your letter. I had also enquired with the Government of Tripura and discussed with the Minister of Education in the state.

On the basis of the response that I have received from the Minister of Education, Government of Tripura, on this matter, I am attaching the syllabus of the Tripura Board of Secondary Education where clearly it is mentioned that issues like the national movement; social reform movements; peasants and workers struggles; the role of Mahatma Gandhi, Indian National Congress, the non-cooperation movement, Subhash Chandra Bose, Indian National Army etc are part of the syllabus for Class X. In addition they also have a section on the North East: history of Assam and the revolt of 1857 to the creation of the seven sisters.

The Social Science syllabus for Class IX is effective for this academic year 2015-16 and for Class X for the academic year 2016-17. If you put these together, I am sure your doubts will be put to rest and so would the mischief of the media reports that certain parts of Indian history are being dropped from the syllabus of the secondary school syllabus in Tripura. The syllabus for Class IX and X must seen together as part of the preparation for the higher secondary examination.

I hope this will put to rest the question that you have raised and that you will agree with me that the media allegations are baseless.

With regards

Yours sincerely

(Sitaram Yechury)

General Secretary